Led by Russell Barkley, PhD
This is an On Demand Webinar. Access information, resources and CEU information will be sent to you shortly after registration and registrants will be given unlimited access to the recording for a full year
Webinar Rate – $152.00
Dedicated Learner Webinar Rate* – $129.20
All 3 Webinars with Russell Barkley* – $304.00
*Dedicated Learners pay $22/month and automatically save 15% PLUS have access to all Q&A sessions free. Learn more about becoming a Dedicated Learner, click here
All registrations include:
- 1 year of recorded archive access
- Certificate of Participation. For more CE information, click here
Author of more than 20 books, rating scales and clinical manuals, Russell Barkley is an internationally-recognized authority on ADHD. His work is considered to be the cornerstone for best practices in the assessment and management of ADHD.
In this 3-hour webinar, Dr. Barkley will update you on:
- The latest information about how to diagnose and manage ADHD as it manifests in childhood vs adulthood
- Major advances in pharmaceutical and psychosocial treatments of ADHD
- The diagnosis, management of the lesser known attention disorder: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo
Advances in Diagnosis, Etiologies and Management of ADHD:
Clinicians are becoming increasingly aware that ADHD in childhood does not disappear over development and that many individuals with the disorder in childhood will continue to manifest the disorder into adulthood. In fact, research indicates that ADHD will persist into adolescence in up to 80 percent of the childhood cases, and into adulthood in up to 65 percent of these cases.
With ADHD being one of the most common childhood behavioural disorders, mental health, medical and other professionals need to update themselves on current research findings on diagnosis and treatment for both children AND adults.
This presentation will provide current information on the diagnosis of ADHD and changes that were made in the DSM5 diagnostic criteria for ADHD. Highlighted will be recommendations for addressing inadequacies in these current diagnostic criteria. The presentation will also include a discussion of the major domains of causes of ADHD and their likely interactions. Dr. Barkley will then provide an overview of the major advances that have occurred in medications and psychosocial treatments of ADHD including a discussion of experimental and disproven management methods.
The Other Attention Disorder: Diagnosis, Nature, and Management of Sluggish Cognitive Tempo vs. ADHD:
Studies of children having ADD without Hyperactivity suggest an important subset of ADHD with a pattern of symptoms distinct from the better known markers of ADHD. These symptoms included daydreaming, mental fogginess and confusion, staring, slow processing of information, hypoactivity, slow movement, and lethargy, among others. How many clients have you encountered who exhibit an attention deficit disorder of low power, arousal, or focus?
Since 1798, the medical literature on attention disorders has identified at least two kinds. The first is very well-known: a disorder of distractibility, lack of sustained attention, and poor inhibition. The second one has been largely ignored for 2 centuries until the mid-1980s.
This lesser known disordered is called sluggish cognitive tempo (SCT). Controversy has continued over the past 25 years on the nature of SCT and whether it is a subtype of ADHD or a distinct disorder from it.
In this presentation, Dr. Barkley reviews the history of SCT and what is known about it from past research. He also describes the results of his own recent investigations into SCT in children and the only study of SCT in adults that he recently published, all of which suggest that SCT is a distinct disorder from ADHD but one that may overlap with it in nearly half of all cases. Dr. Barkley discusses the differences between SCT in symptoms, executive functioning, comorbidity for other disorders, and psychosocial impairment and what little is known about differential treatment response. He also discusses several different possibilities for explaining the underlying nature of SCT.
Russell Barkley ADHD Update Series: What You Need to Know Now in 3 Webinars
This is the first of three webinars that Dr. Barkley is presenting for us this fall. He is also presenting:
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder Management PLUS Management of ADHD Medication on November 18
- Optimizing ADHD Treatment: Impact of Comorbidity on November 23
Part 1: Advances in Diagnosis, Etiologies and Management of ADHD
By the end of this training, attendees will be better able to –
- List the primary characteristics of ADHD and explain it as a disorder of executive functioning and self-regulation
- Discuss the issues involved in the diagnosis and subtyping of ADHD and adjustments made in DSM5 criteria
- Explain advances in the causes of ADHD and their likely interactions
- Explain an overview of the advances made in treatments for ADHD including medications and psychosocial treatments
Part 2: The Other Attention Disorder: Diagnosis, Nature, and Management of Sluggish Cognitive Tempo vs. ADHD
By the end of this training, attendees will be better able to –
- Provide a Brief Review of Medical History of ADHD and Subtypes
- Discuss Problems with Current Subtyping
- Review Discovery of SCT Symptoms within ADD without Hyperactivity
- Review Research Findings on Children and Adults with High SCT vs. ADHD
- Discuss Treatment Research and Its Implications for Management of SCT
Follow-Up Q & A Session with Russell Barkley
Join the speaker for a Follow-Up Q & A session to:
- Ask questions that have arisen since the Live Broadcast
- Share unexpected insights, experiences and challenges that you have encountered as you put some of what you have learnt into practice
Live Follow-Up Q & A Date: Tuesday, December 8, 2020
Broadcast Time: 10:45 am – 11:45 am, EST
The Follow-Up Q & A Sessions are scheduled a short time after the Live Broadcast date and are designed to help webinar participants further integrate and deepen their understanding and implementation of webinar material. After having had a chance to absorb and reflect on what you learnt in the webinar, you are invited to join the speaker in an hour-long Q & A session to ask questions, share your experiences in implementing some of the ideas explored in the webinar and discuss challenges and unexpected insights that may have arisen.
Follow-Up Q & A Fee for Guests and Community Participants at time of registration: CAD$16
Follow-Up Q & A Fee for Guests and Community Participants AFTER: CAD$30
Dedicated Learners and Whole Enchilada Learners of the Leading Edge Seminars Advantage Network are automatically registered for Follow Up Q & As at no charge.
Russell A. Barkley, PhD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond, VA. He is board certified in Clinical Psychology (ABPP), Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, and Clinical Neuropsychology (ABCN, ABPP). Dr. Barkley is a clinical scientist, educator, and practitioner who has published 26 other books, rating scales, and clinical manuals numbering more than 43 editions, and creator of 7 award winning professional videos. He has also published more than 300 scientific articles and book chapters related to the nature, assessment, and treatment of ADHD and related disorders. He is the founder and Editor of the clinical newsletter, The ADHD Report, now in its 28th year of publication. Dr. Barkley has presented more than 800 invited lectures in more than 30 countries and appeared on nationally televised shows such as 60 Minutes, the Today Show, Good Morning America, CBS Sunday Morning, CNN, and many others. He has received numerous awards from professional societies and ADHD organizations for his lifetime achievements, contributions to research and clinical practice, and the dissemination of science. His websites are www.russellbarkley.org and www.ADHDLectures.com.
|1:00-2:30pm||Advances in Diagnosis, Etiologies, and Management of ADHD|
|2:30-2:45pm||15 Minute Break|
|2:45-4:15pm||The Other Attention Disorder: Diagnosis, Nature, and Management of Sluggish Cognitive Tempo vs. ADHD|
This training offers 3 hours of direct contact (not counting breaks or lunch). It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards/regulatory body to verify CE requirements for their license to practice.
For Live Broadcast Attendees
Webinar attendance by participants is automatically tracked, documented and archived for future reference. Upon confirming you have attended 100% of the webinar and upon completion of a course evaluation, you will be issued a certificate of participation (see below).
For Attendees of On Demand/Recorded Version
If you cannot verify 100% attendance of the Live Broadcast or if you are watching the On Demand/recorded version of this webinar, you will need to complete a Post-Webinar Quiz with a pass of at least 80% in order to verify your attendance.
For US Participants
- Continuing Education Credit is pending approval through Commonwealth Educational Seminars for these following professions.
- Instructions on how obtaining your Certificate of Attendance will be distributed either upon completion of the Live Broadcast or after participants pass the Post-Webinar Quiz following the On Demand recorded version of the webinar.
For more general info about CEs for US Participants, please click here.
For Canadian and International participants
Upon fulfillment of the above requirements, Canadian and international participants will be issued a Certificate of Participation which features:
- Name of Participant
- Title of Training
- Name of Presenter plus their credentials
- Number of hours of training
- Date of training
- Confirmation that you have passed a quiz with at least 80% grade to verify your attendance
Please check carefully with your regulating body/organization that this certificate is sufficient proof for you to claim CEUs.
For general information about Continuing Education for Canadians and International participants, please click here.
This training is aimed at all mental health professionals including:
- social workers
- medical professionals supporting mental health patients
- mental health counsellors
- marriage and family therapists and counsellors
- occupational therapists
- vocational rehabilitation therapists
- addiction counsellors
- religious counsellors
- case managers
- art therapists
- licensed professional counsellors
- all other professionals who would like to develop, update or expand their skills and knowledge in mental health practices
|Dedicated Learner Rate*||$129.20|
|All 3 Webinars with Russell Barkley*||$304.00|
|Whole Enchilada Rate||Included|
*Dedicated Learners pay $22/month and automatically save 15% PLUS gain access to all Q&A sessions free. To become a Dedicated Learner, click here