Monday, November 4 – Tuesday, November 5, 2019
9:00 am to 4:40 pm
In this workshop, Doug Smith will help you acquire the skills needed to specialize in counselling people who’ve suffered a major loss. You will learn how to address many types of loss and personal trauma, including death, divorce, unemployment and decline in mental or physical health, as well as losses associated with substance abuse and other life-altering changes.
Doug has presented in all 50 United States and for Leading Edge for the past 12 years. He has a well-earned reputation as a powerful and engaging presenter. He will emphasize practical tools over theories, examining how those tools work with various types of situations and clients. He will not only examine various assessment tools and care plan designs, but also explore numerous creative interventions and several complementary therapeutic techniques that any healthcare provider can use.
Among the creative and complementary modalities explored will be strength assessments, guided imageries, virtual dreams, spiritual assessments, individual and group techniques, tonglen, loss intensity graphs, wounded healer resumés and letters to finish unfinished business.
Doug’s down-to-earth approach will be illustrated through stories, case examples and helpful strategies in dealing with some of the most difficult issues faced by clients and clinicians.
You Will Learn:
- How to explore your client’s personal loss and grief history
- About methods of working with the strengths of your clients so they can develop self-esteem and self-care
- About practical tools and techniques for use in professional and personal settings
- Skills for assessing someone’s spiritual language and spiritual concerns
- Ways of using your own woundedness to heal the wounds of others
- To develop a large toolkit of useable complementary therapies and creative interventions
- Acceptable ways of lessening record-keeping time and increasing direct patient/client contact time