Led by Sheri Van Dijk, MSW, RSW
Live Broadcast Dates: Monday, October 18, and Tuesday, October 19, 2021
Live Broadcast Time: 1:15 pm to 4:30 pm ET each day
Convert to your local time here
Live Broadcast Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2021
Live Broadcast Time: 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm ET
Can’t Attend Live? This webinar and Follow-up Q&A will be recorded and archived. All registrants will be given unlimited access to the recording for a full year after the Live Broadcast date.
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) was initially created to treat Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Emotion dysregulation, or the inability to manage emotions effectively, is a primary problem of this disorder. In fact, 75% of mental illnesses described in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) are related to emotion dysregulation. That means DBT can be used to treat many emotional disorders. And research in recent years supports this: DBT is proving to be effective in helping people manage their emotions.
This webinar introduces you to Dialectical Behavior Therapy. You will learn about its origins and the Biosocial Theory of how emotion dysregulation develops. We will explore how research shows that DBT is effective in treating disorders beyond BPD. You will also learn about Dialectics and the importance of balancing validation with change for the dysregulated client.
Participants will leave this webinar knowing how to effectively use validation to help clients re-regulate in session. You will also know how to teach clients to practice this skill on their own.
By the end of this training, attendees will be better able to —
- Describe the three theories underlying DBT: Dialectics, the Biosocial theory, and Behaviour Theory
- Explain the origins of DBT, and list some of the differences between Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) and DBT
- Describe the different components of a DBT model, and the stages of treatment
- Use a variety of dialectical strategies to help clients get unstuck and move toward healing
- Discuss the research on DBT and its efficacy in treating BPD as well as other disorders related to emotion dysregulation
- List ways of reducing feelings of burn-out and ineffectiveness for clinicians, including creating more structure for clients with the Behavior Tracking Sheet and the Behavioral Analysis
Sheri Van Dijk, MSW, RSW, has worked with clients with severe mental health problems since 2000. She has had extensive training in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and mindfulness. She has also been providing DBT-informed therapy to individuals and groups in private practice and at a community hospital since 2004.
A long-time presenter for Leading Edge Seminars, Sheri has authored eight books focusing on helping readers learn DBT skills. Her books are written to teach people how to apply DBT to a variety of mental health problems. In 2013, Sheri published DBT Made Simple with the aim of making the therapy more accessible to both clients and clinicians. The book was written to show clinicians how Dialectical Behavior Therapy can be used to effectively treat many different emotional problems.
Sheri has been presenting extensively on DBT and conducting DBT workshops for mental health professionals in Canada and abroad.
|15 Minute Break|
|15 Minute Break|
This training offers 6 hours of direct contact (not counting breaks or lunch). It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards/regulatory body to verify CE requirements for their license to practice.
For Live Broadcast Attendees
Webinar attendance by participants is automatically tracked, documented and archived for future reference. Upon confirming you have attended 100% of the webinar and upon completion of a course evaluation, you will be issued a certificate of participation (see below).
For Attendees of On Demand/Recorded Version
If you cannot verify 100% attendance of the Live Broadcast or if you are watching the On Demand/recorded version of this webinar, you will need to complete a Post-Webinar Quiz with a pass of at least 80% in order to verify your attendance.
For US Participants
- Continuing Education Credit is pending approval through Commonwealth Educational Seminars for these following professions.
- Instructions on how obtaining your Certificate of Attendance will be distributed either upon completion of the Live Broadcast or after participants pass the Post-Webinar Quiz following the On Demand recorded version of the webinar.
For more general info about CEs for US Participants, please click here.
For Canadian and International participants
Upon fulfillment of the above requirements, Canadian and international participants will be issued a Certificate of Participation which features:
- Name of Participant
- Title of Training
- Name of Presenter plus their credentials
- Number of hours of training
- Date of training
- Confirmation that you have passed a quiz with at least 80% grade to verify your attendance
Please check carefully with your regulating body/organization that this certificate is sufficient proof for you to claim CEUs.
For general information about Continuing Education for Canadians and International participants, please click here.
This training is aimed at all mental health professionals including:
- social workers
- medical professionals supporting mental health patients
- mental health counsellors
- marriage and family therapists and counsellors
- occupational therapists
- vocational rehabilitation therapists
- addiction counsellors
- religious counsellors
- case managers
- art therapists
- licensed professional counsellors
- all other professionals who would like to develop, update or expand their skills and knowledge in mental health practices
|Webinar Rate||CAD $259.00/USD $205|
|Webinar + Q&A Rate||CAD $275.00/USD $218|
|Dedicated Learner Rate*||CAD $220.15/USD $175|
|Whole Enchilada Rate||Included|
*Dedicated Learners pay $10/month and automatically save 15% PLUS have access to all Follow-up Q&A sessions free. Click here to become a Dedicated Learner.
All pricing is in CAD$. The USD$ equivalent is about 30% less than CAD$, click here to estimate webinar rate before taxes in your local currency.