Led by Melissa Westendorf, JD, PhD
This is an On Demand Webinar. Access information, resources and CEU information will be sent to you shortly after registration and registrants will be given unlimited access to the recording for a full year.
This webinar was broadcasted live on Tuesday, September 28, 2021
Follow up Q&A
Technology addiction is evident all around us: just look around and see how many kids are spending time mindlessly staring at their phones or computer screens. This webinar will explore the effects of technology addiction. You’ll learn how overusing technology can negatively impact children’s brains—structurally and through biochemistry.
After gaining an understanding of these effects, this workshop will break down their manifestation into four distinct areas: behavioural, emotional, interpersonal, and physical. Dr. Westendorf will then offer instructions on the Technology Use Continuum© (TUC), which can be used to assess these four areas. She’ll also provide suggestions on how to course-correct to a healthy use of technology within the family. Finally, Dr. Westendorf will present case examples and discuss technology overuse in individuals with special considerations, such as AD/HD, autism spectrum disorder, and pornography addiction.
The goal of this workshop is to assist mental health professionals in identifying the potential role technology overuse plays in a child’s life. You will learn how to address problems so that a family can return to a healthy balance of technology use.
By the end of this training, attendees will be better able to:
- Describe the impact of technology overuse on a child’s brain.
- Identify four areas in a child’s life most susceptible to technology overuse.
- Discuss several treatment options targeted at addressing a specific area of impact.
- Discuss how technology overuse impacts children with special considerations.
Dr. Melissa Westendorf, JD/PhD, is a licensed clinical and forensic psychologist and attorney. She specializes in assessments that include technology or internet components that contribute to criminal behaviour.
In 2013, Dr. Westendorf created the Technology Wellness Center as a forum to share with parents, children, and mental health professionals her understanding of technology addiction. She has co-authored two books, Unplug Raising Kids in a Technology Addicted World (2015) and Digital Distress: Growing Up Online (printing in 2021).
Melissa has served on the Wisconsin and American Psychological Association committees, and she is also a former board member of the Wisconsin Psychology Examining Board.
|First 90 minutes|
|Last 90 minutes|
This training offers 3 hours of direct contact (not counting breaks or lunch). It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards/regulatory body to verify CE requirements for their license to practice.
For Live Broadcast Attendees
Webinar attendance by participants is automatically tracked, documented and archived for future reference. Upon confirming you have attended 100% of the webinar and upon completion of a course evaluation, you will be issued a certificate of participation (see below).
For Attendees of On Demand/Recorded Version
If you cannot verify 100% attendance of the Live Broadcast or if you are watching the On Demand/recorded version of this webinar, you will need to complete a Post-Webinar Quiz with a pass of at least 80% in order to verify your attendance.
For US Participants
- Continuing Education Credit is pending approval through Commonwealth Educational Seminars for these following professions.
- Instructions on how obtaining your Certificate of Attendance will be distributed either upon completion of the Live Broadcast or after participants pass the Post-Webinar Quiz following the On Demand recorded version of the webinar.
For more general info about CEs for US Participants, please click here.
For Canadian and International participants
Upon fulfillment of the above requirements, Canadian and international participants will be issued a Certificate of Participation which features:
- Name of Participant
- Title of Training
- Name of Presenter plus their credentials
- Number of hours of training
- Date of training
- Confirmation that you have passed a quiz with at least 80% grade to verify your attendance
Please check carefully with your regulating body/organization that this certificate is sufficient proof for you to claim CEUs.
For general information about Continuing Education for Canadians and International participants, please click here.
This training is aimed at all mental health professionals including:
- social workers
- medical professionals supporting mental health patients
- mental health counsellors
- marriage and family therapists and counsellors
- occupational therapists
- vocational rehabilitation therapists
- addiction counsellors
- religious counsellors
- case managers
- art therapists
- licensed professional counsellors
- all other professionals who would like to develop, update or expand their skills and knowledge in mental health practices
|Webinar Rate||CAD$139.00 / USD$110|
All pricing is in CAD$. The USD$ equivalent is about 30% less than CAD$, click here to estimate webinar rate before taxes in your local currency.