Led by Margaret Wehrenberg, PsyD
Live Broadcast Date: Friday, January 8, 2021
Live Broadcast Time: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, EST (Toronto, New York), UTC -5
Convert to your local time here
Guest and Community Learner Rate – $261.00
Guest and Community Learner Webinar + Q&A Rate – $277.00
Dedicated Learner Webinar Rate* – $221.85
Whole Enchilada Learner Rate – Included
*Dedicated Learners pay $22/month and automatically save 15% PLUS gain access to all Q&A sessions free. To learn more about becoming a Dedicated Learner, click here
Can’t Attend Live? This webinar will be recorded and archived. All registrants will be given unlimited access to the recording for a full year after the Live Broadcast date.
Overactive brain circuitry can trap people in cycles of ruminative thinking. This neurobiologically-based rumination links anxiety and depression — two disorders that concur in about 50% of our clients.
Whether clients experience depressive themes of worthlessness and inadequacy or the anxious full-of-dread cognitions, repetitive patterns of negative thoughts keep people locked into distress. Letting go isn’t easy. Mental habits, reinforced by life experience and strengthened by repetition, form a neurobiological rut into which clients fall repeatedly. Stuck in this rut, people become unable to change behaviour, and in response, it is no surprise that therapists themselves can begin to feel stuck, wondering how to promote change in thought and action.
In this workshop, we’ll examine why clients lock into depressive patterns that increase their unhappiness, and we will explore the four subtle reasons they hold on to worry. Understanding these underlying rationales helps clients increase both their confidence and ability to change their mental habits. More importantly, we’ll explore pragmatic, achievable solutions to disrupt the rumination and stuck behaviours, eliminating these patterns and replacing them with attitudes of calmness and competency. After utilizing experiential and interactive methods, you will leave prepared to offer your clients effective tools to end rumination, alter stuck behaviours, and move into recovery from depression and anxiety.
Known for her humour, pragmatic treatment approaches and interactive teaching style, Dr. Wehrenberg is a sought-after speaker and consistently receives the highest ratings for her dynamic presentation and high-quality content. Seasoned professionals often rank her training “as among the best I have ever attended”. This workshop is packed with good information and strategies.
Want More Margaret Wehrenberg?
Margaret Wehrenberg is also presenting The New Social Anxiety: Mental Health and Social Balance in the Age of Social Media and the Internet on December 4. Click here for full info.
By the end of this training, attendees will be better able to —
- Explain how to improve treatment compliance by applying a basic understanding of neurological causes of rumination and how to assess and change in anxious and depressed clients
- Discuss at least four underlying causes of depression and immediate therapy interventions that will rapidly disrupt the ruminative themes of worthlessness and inadequacy
- Explain how to frame four purposes of worry and how to apply techniques that break the hold of worry
- Demonstrate how to interrupt the ruminative cognitions that decrease energy and then apply self-reinforcing techniques that can energize clients
- Demonstrate how to teach clients to identify the impact of situational stressors
- Discuss at least four approaches that reduce and eliminate the damage of stress that underpins both anxiety and depression
Follow-Up Q & A Session with Margaret Wehrenberg
Join Margaret for a Follow-Up Q & A session to:
- Ask questions that have arisen in the week after the webinar
- Share unexpected insights, experiences and challenges that you have encountered as you put some of what you learnt into practice
Live Follow-Up Q & A Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2021
Broadcast Time: 10:30 am – 11:30 am, EST
The Follow-Up Q & A Sessions are scheduled a short time after the Live Broadcast date and are designed to help webinar participants further integrate and deepen their understanding and implementation of webinar material. After having had a chance to absorb and reflect on what you learnt in the webinar, you are invited to join the speaker in an hour-long Q & A session to ask questions, share your experiences in implementing some of the ideas explored in the webinar and discuss challenges and unexpected insights that may have arisen.
Follow-Up Q & A Fee for Guests and Community Participants at time of registration: CAD$16
Follow-Up Q & A Fee for Guests and Community Participants AFTER: CAD$30
Dedicated Learners and Whole Enchilada Learners of the Leading Edge Seminars Advantage Network are automatically registered for Follow-Up Q & As at no charge.
Margaret Wehrenberg, PsyD, a licensed clinical psychologist, is the author of 8 books on the treatment of anxiety and depression, including the best-selling, The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques (revised and updated in 2018) and its accompanying workbook. An expert on the treatment of anxiety and depression, she also has extensive training and expertise in the neurobiology of psychological disorders. In addition to clinical work, she coaches business professionals on managing anxiety and contributes articles for The Psychotherapy Networker magazine. She has produced audio soundtracks available on her website for breathing, muscle relaxation and imagery. Margaret blogs on depression for Psychology Today.
|10:00 am – 11:30 am||Rumination as The Link Between Anxiety and Depression
|11:30 am – 11:15 pm||15-minute break|
|11:45 am – 1:15 pm||Managing the Four Purposes of Worry at Every Age
The Impact of Stress and Four Competencies to Prevent Stress, Anxiety and Depression, Especially in Older Adolescents and Young Adults
|1:15 pm – 1:45 pm||30-minute break|
|1:45 pm – 3:15 pm||Perfectionism, Anxiety and Depression in the Too Much Activity (TMA) Person of Any Age from Childhood to Late Adulthood
|3:15 pm – 3:30 pm||15-minute break|
|3:30 pm – 5:00 pm||A Look at Depression
Raising Energy and Altering Cognitions
“Born to be blue”: Spotting and altering the impact of endogenous depression
This training offers 6 hours of direct contact (not counting breaks or lunch). It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards/regulatory body to verify CE requirements for their license to practice.
For Live Broadcast Attendees
Webinar attendance by participants is automatically tracked, documented and archived for future reference. Upon confirming you have attended 100% of the webinar and upon completion of a course evaluation, you will be issued a certificate of participation (see below).
For Attendees of On Demand/Recorded Version
If you cannot verify 100% attendance of the Live Broadcast or if you are watching the On Demand/recorded version of this webinar, you will need to complete a Post-Webinar Quiz with a pass of at least 80% in order to verify your attendance.
For US Participants
- Continuing Education Credit is pending approval through Commonwealth Educational Seminars for these following professions.
- Instructions on how obtaining your Certificate of Attendance will be distributed either upon completion of the Live Broadcast or after participants pass the Post-Webinar Quiz following the On Demand recorded version of the webinar.
For more general info about CEs for US Participants, please click here.
For Canadian and International participants
Upon fulfillment of the above requirements, Canadian and international participants will be issued a Certificate of Participation which features:
- Name of Participant
- Title of Training
- Name of Presenter plus their credentials
- Number of hours of training
- Date of training
- Confirmation that you have passed a quiz with at least 80% grade to verify your attendance
Please check carefully with your regulating body/organization that this certificate is sufficient proof for you to claim CEUs.
For general information about Continuing Education for Canadians and International participants, please click here.
This training is aimed at all mental health professionals including:
- social workers
- medical professionals supporting mental health patients
- mental health counsellors
- marriage and family therapists and counsellors
- occupational therapists
- vocational rehabilitation therapists
- addiction counsellors
- religious counsellors
- case managers
- art therapists
- licensed professional counsellors
- all other professionals who would like to develop, update or expand their skills and knowledge in mental health practices
|Guest and Community Learner Rate||$132.00|
|Guest and Community Learner Rate||$148.00|
|Dedicated Learner Rate*||$112.20|
|Whole Enchilada Rate||Included|
*Dedicated Learners pay $22/month and automatically save 15% PLUS have access to all Q&A sessions free. To become a Dedicated Learner, click here