Led by Esta Porter, PhD
8:00 am to 5:30 pm
(see agenda for full details)
Hear what Bessel van der Kolk has to say about EMDR:
Described as an “indispensable modality of treatment” by Bessel van der Kolk, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) offers your clients a way to safely process traumatic experiences.
EMDR has evolved. Originally designed as a single incident PTSD intervention, EMDR principles and protocols have undergone 3 generations of change to become a sophisticated and versatile form of interpersonal psychotherapy that can be applied across the lifespan of your clients.
This 5-day intensive Basic EMDR training falls into the category of “next-generation EMDR training”. Moving away from the earlier focus on research to the interpersonal aspects of how to implement EMDR in clinical settings, this training offers support and consultation throughout the 40-hour in-class portion as well as after the training so that you can integrate EMDR seamlessly into your practice.
Mentored and trained by EMDR training developer Roy Kiessling, Esta Porter is a senior EMDR trainer who has worked alongside Roy for many years.
PRAISE FOR ESTA’S TRAINING
“Esta is very knowledgeable, not just about the many applications of the AIP model, but also about other psychotherapeutic approaches and how they can be integrated very well into EMDR therapy, while still maintaining the clear integrity of EMDR therapeutic procedures. She has an intrinsic warmth and an engaging personal style…I’m sure that participants in an EMDR training will very much enjoy and benefit from their educational experience, not just from the information they will acquire through lecture and practicum, but also from being able to directly observe Esta as a very positive role model of a skilled EMDR therapist.”
“Esta is an EMDR Master. Her depth and breadth of knowledge are second to none, and she excels at passing that wisdom on to clinicians straightforwardly and refreshingly.”
“I have nothing but positive things to say about Esta! She is knowledgeable, a great teacher, warm, and compassionate. She is patient, person-centered, and I have learned a tremendous amount from her…I value her professionalism and expertise, and I know anyone receiving training from her would benefit greatly.”
Esta’s approach to EMDR cultivates attunement, awareness of attachment patterns, and clinical judgment. This EMDRIA-approved five-day intensive will provide the essentials for implementing EMDR, including an overview on how to customize treatments for children, recent events, couples, grief, pain, phobias, addictions, and dissociation.
You will undergo a multimedia learning experience designed to optimize skill acquisition. Through lecture, videos, and practice opportunities, you will first listen, then observe, and then implement new concepts and skills.
This training updates the original procedures developed by Francine Shapiro in 1995 by expanding treatment planning, preparation, and processing interventions. Supplemented with over 43 videos, downloadable training materials, and free access to a community-wide listserv, it also provides support before, during, and after the course so that you will be confident every step of the way as you implement EMDR in your clinical practice.
TRAINING MATERIALS INCLUDED:
- Along with the 40-hour lecture/practicum portion of the training provided during your week with Esta, you will also receive 10 hours of consultation after the training with approved consultants via small-group phone/online video conferencing to help you integrate fine-tune your understanding and skills.
- Advanced instructional materials upon registration, including a PDF of the manual and links to videos to help prepare you for the workshop.
You will learn —
- The foundational EMDR concepts and procedures (the Adaptive Information Processing approach, the 8 phases and 3 prongs of standard EMDR treatment)
- 13 interventions to help prepare your clients for EMDR (through grounding, stabilization and behavioural change)
- Strategies to prepare your client for processing
- 7 treatment planning approaches
- How to customize the pace of treatment through deploying the Processing Continuum
- About interventions to facilitate safe, effective and efficient processing
- How to work with children
- How to treat acute stress: CIIC (Critical Incident Intervention Continuum)
Esta Porter, PhD is a Registered Clinical Counselor, Licensed Mental Health Counselor, and Graduate of the Authentic Happiness Coaching Program, Certified EMDR Therapist, EMDR Approved Consultant, and Certified Master Practitioner in Neuro-Linguistic Programming. Throughout her 45 years of clinical practice, she has worked in various public and private counseling agencies with adults, adolescents, children, and families. Esta’s background includes teaching at the high school and university levels.
Currently, Esta maintains a private practice providing counseling psychology, life and executive coaching and consulting to business, schools, and organizations. She facilitates trainings locally and internationally. Esta’s holistic approach integrates wellness into a system in a way that brings about lasting, pervasive, and generative changes in people’s lives congruent with their individual and systemic outcomes.
She is the recipient of the 2007 Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association Counsellor Practitioner Award. Esta’s office is located in Nelson, British Columbia, Canada.
- 7:30–8:00 – Registration
- 8:00–8:15 – Introduction
- 8:15 – 9:30 am – Crisis Intervention Desensitization Protocols 9:30 – 9:45 – BREAK
- 9:45 – 11:00 – Practice #1: CID & A-TIP (break between roles) 11:00 – 11:30 – AIP
- 11:30 – 12:30 – Lunch
- 12:30 – 1:00 – What is EMDR
- 1:00–2:45 – Case Conceptualization
- 2:45–3:00 – BREAK
- 3:00–3:45 – Preparation
- 3:45–5:15 – Practice #2: Phase 2: Preparation
- 5:15–5:30 – Day 1 Wrap-up
- 8:00–8:15 – Day 1 review
- 8:15–10:15 – Belief Focused Target Planning
- 10:15–10:30 – BREAK
- 10:30–11:30 – Belief Focused Target Planning
- 11:30–12:30 – Lunch
- 12:30–2:45 – Practice #3: Phase 1: Target Sequence Planning 2:45–3:00 – BREAK
- 4:00–5:15 – Resource Strengthening
- 5:15–5:30 – Day 2 Wrap-up
- 8:00–8:15 – Day 2 Review
- 8:15–10:30 – Practice #4: Resource Strengthening 10:30–10:45 – BREAK
- 10:45–11:30 – The Processing Continuum: EMD^
- 11:30–12:30 – Lunch
- 12:30–3:00 – The Processing Continuum: EMDr, EMDR 3:00–3:15 – BREAK
- 3:15–5:15 – Practice #5: Processing
- 5:15–5:30 – Day 3 Wrap-up
- 8:00–8:15 – Day 3 Review
- 8:15–9:15 – Clinical Interventions
- 9:15–10:00 – Processing Emotions
- 10:00–10:15 – BREAK
- 10:15–11:30 – Reevaluation
- 11:30–12:30 – Lunch
- 1:00–3:00 – Reevaluation
- 3:00–3:15 – BREAK
- 3:15–5:15 – Practice #6: Reevaluation and Processing 5:15–5:30 – Day 4 Wrap-up
- 8:00–9:00 – Training review: Days 1-4
- 9:00–10:15 – Practice #7: Reevaluation and Closure 10:15–10:30 – BREAK
- 10:30–11:30 – Additional Client Presentations
- 11:30–12:30 – Lunch
- 12:30–3:00 – Additional Client Presentations
- 3:00–3:15 – BREAK
- 3:15–4:30 – Additional Client Presentations
- 4:30–5:15 – What’s next
- 5:15–5:30 – Wrap-up; Evaluations
In order to take part in this training, all participants must have —
- Academic credentials: either a completed master’s degree or higher in an established mental health discipline or proof of current enrollment in a post-graduate program leading to a master’s degree or higher in an established mental health discipline
- Membership in a College or professional regulatory body that oversees practice of psychotherapy. Click here to download a list of designations and regulatory bodies recognized by EMDR Canada.
- Professional liability insurance
- If you meet these requirements, complete THIS FORM
REFRESHER COURSE PARTICIPANTS
Have you previously taken an EMDR training but would like a refresher course to boost your skills and confidence?
A limited number of spaces are available for participants who have completed previous EMDR training and need a refresher course. The refresher fee will be CAD$1,500 before the EarlyBird deadline and $1,600 after. The Refresher Fee rate includes advance training materials and 40 hours of lecture/practicum but does not include the 10 hours of consultation. If you would like to receive 10 hours of consultation to support your EMDR practice after the training, there is an additional fee of CAD$425.
To apply for an EMDR refresher place in Roy’s training, please complete THIS FORM and note in the bottom comment that you are applying as a fresher and please send a scan of proof of completion of your previous EMDR training. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in taking this EMDR training but do not yet meet the requirements?
A limited number of spaces are available for Student EMDR Trainees. This is ideal for students who are currently enrolled in a Master’s level program with at least 2 years’ focus on a mental health discipline and have completed all course work in the program and will be enrolled in the practicum portion of your training by the time the EMDR training begins. The student fee will be CAD$1,925 before the EarlyBird deadline and $2,025 after. The student rate includes advance training materials, 40 hours of lecture/practicum AND 10 hours of consultation.
As a student you will also need to have a signed MOU between yourself and a designated supervisor who will agree to oversee your EMDR practice during the duration of the training. See a sample MOU here. Note: the designated supervisor does not need to be trained in EMDR
To apply for an Student EMDR place in Roy’s training, please complete THIS FORM (answer N/A to any mandatory questions that are not applicable) and note in the bottom comment that you are applying as a student. Questions? Email email@example.com.
This EMDR training will take place at:
Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver
950 West 41st Avenue,
Conveniently located at 41st Ave and Oak St. Close to Oakridge-41st Avenue Station.
Looking for Accommodations:
Early Bird Rate*: CAD$2,500 / USD$1,991**
Regular Rate: CAD$2,600 / USD$2,070**
Rate for Refresher course participants: CAD$1,500 / USD$1,194** (Note: the 10 hours of post-training consultation sessions are not included in the Refresher rate. If you would like to participate in the 10 hours of post-training consultation sessions, the additional cost is CAD$425 / USD$338**.
Student Rate: CAD$1,925 / USD$1,553** (includes 10 hours of post-training consultation)
You can choose to pay in full or in 3 equal installments.
*Early Bird deadline is July 29, 2022.
**Plus applicable HST tax depending on your Canadian province or territory. No tax for attendees outside of Canada.
To register, please complete steps 1 and 2 outlined below.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
To estimate workshop rate before taxes in your local currency, click here.
This EMDR training program will be in compliance with all COVID-related provincial regulations and best practices at the time of the event.
EMDR Vancouver Registration in 2 easy steps!
- Complete the EMDR Registration Payment – Choose to pay in full or in 3 equal installments
- Complete the EMDR Registration Form here
Once you complete steps 1 and 2, we will confirm your registration. If you are not eligible for this training, we will issue you a complete refund.