Led by Cathy Malchiodi, PhD, REAT,
This is a 1 hour On Demand Webinar. Access information, resources and CEU information will be available shortly after registration and registrants will be given unlimited access to the recording for a full year.
This webinar was broadcasted live on October 22, 2022 as part of the Collective Trauma Conference
Working with traumatic stress and supporting the restoration of the self often requires more than language-based psychotherapy. Survivors of complex trauma, interpersonal violence, and multiple adverse events often benefit from non-verbal approaches that include implicit communication to experience a deeper, more long-lasting healing process.
Expressive therapy—an implicit, non-verbal, and action-oriented form of communication and recovery—is emerging as an effective approach to addressing individual and collective trauma. In contrast to talk therapies, expressive therapy focuses on somatosensory experiences that address both mind and body. It integrates best practices from three major approaches used to treat trauma—somatic therapy, sensory integration, and expressive arts therapy—to re-sensitize the individual to experiences of curiosity, play, imagination, mastery, and self-compassion.
This presentation introduces this approach through a focus on expanding the “circle of capacity” in trauma survivors to enhance self-efficacy and strategies to address activation and dissociation to support resilience.
- Explore the importance of psychological interventions during the acute phase of traumatization—especially in collective emergencies—to reduce stress reactions and prevent the accumulation of traumatic stress
- Explore tools for psychological intervention that reduce risk factors for mental and emotional disorders.
- Examine how to intervene with groups and communities to strengthen resources and protection factors.
- Establish how to proceed before, during, and after a humanitarian emergency.
- Identify the various levels of exposure to collective trauma and populations to be addressed, including front-line workers.
Cathy Malchiodi, PhD, REAT, is the executive director of the Trauma-Informed Practices and Expressive Arts Therapy Institute. She also works as a consultant to the Department of Defense. And, she is an investigator on a 5-year grant with the US Department of Education, integrating trauma-informed expressive arts into classrooms.
A popular presenter and workshop leader, Cathy has given over 700 invited keynotes and workshops throughout the US, Canada, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and Australia. She has authored 20 books, including the bestselling Trauma and Expressive Arts Therapy: Brain, Body, and Imagination in the Healing Process and Understanding Children’s Drawings. Cathy Malchiodi’s publications have been translated in over 20 languages.
This training offers 1 hours of direct contact (not counting breaks or lunch). It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards/regulatory body to verify CE requirements for their license to practice.
For Live Broadcast Attendees
Webinar attendance by participants is automatically tracked, documented and archived for future reference. Upon confirming you have attended 100% of the webinar and upon completion of a course evaluation, you will be issued a certificate of participation (see below).
For Attendees of On Demand/Recorded Version
If you cannot verify 100% attendance of the Live Broadcast or if you are watching the On Demand/recorded version of this webinar, you will need to complete a Post-Webinar Quiz with a pass of at least 80% in order to verify your attendance.
For Canadian and International participants
Upon fulfillment of the above requirements, Canadian and international participants will be issued a Certificate of Participation which features:
- Name of Participant
- Title of Training
- Name of Presenter plus their credentials
- Number of hours of training
- Date of training
- Confirmation that you have passed a quiz with at least 80% grade to verify your attendance
Please check carefully with your regulating body/organization that this certificate is sufficient proof for you to claim CEUs.
For general information about Continuing Education for Canadians and International participants, please click here.
This training is aimed at all mental health professionals, including:
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Clinical and Counselling Psychologists
- Psychiatric Social Workers
- Pastoral Counsellors
- Nurse Practitioners
- Occupational Therapists
- Graduate Students in Accredited Programs in the Above Fields
- case managers
- licensed professional counsellors
- all other professionals who would like to develop, update or expand their skills and knowledge in mental health practices
This course is an intermediate-advanced level.
|1 Hour Webinar Rate||CAD $59.00|
All pricing is in CAD$. The USD$ equivalent is about 30% less than CAD$. Click here to estimate webinar rate before taxes in your local currency.