Led by Frank Anderson, MD
This On-Demand Webinar is for 3 hours and talks about Addressing Protective Parts.
Access information, resources, and CEU information will be sent to you shortly after registration and registrants will be given unlimited access to the recording for a full year.
One of the main reasons why treating trauma survivors is so stressful is because of the intensity, persistence, and extreme nature of traumatic symptoms and behaviours, which Internal Family Systems refers to as “parts.” In particular, the “protective parts” are the ones that can cause the most alarm as they are strategies such as bullying, belligerence, shaming, and self-harm.
However, in the IFS framework, such parts hold the key to healing. Nearly all clients with a trauma history have innate abilities that help them improve their mental health if they listen to their parts. IFS facilitates both internal awareness of parts and the process of listening to them. IFS is an evidence-based approach for clinicians working with traumatized clients.
Standard IFS training usually covers a series of main steps called “The 6 F’s” to help therapists slowly unpack these parts and to help clients integrate the positive, affirmative intentions that underlie the protective parts.
In this webinar, Frank Anderson moves beyond basic Internal Family Systems protocols to help you better address the protective parts. Frank will be introducing extra steps that he calls “Beyond the 6 F’s” You will learn about Direct Access, Updating the Part, Invitations, and more.
This is the first webinar of the 6-part Exploring Different Dimensions of Internal Family Systems with Frank Anderson series. You are welcome to attend just this one, or all of them, or any combination of these webinars in this series. Click on Frank Anderson IFS to view descriptions for all 6 webinars.
By the end of this training, attendees will be better able to —
- Discuss an overview of the IFS Model and how to work with protective parts
- Discuss Direct Access and explain the differentiation between Implicit and Explicit Direct
- Discuss Updating the Part
- Identify Gratitude, Regret and Apology and the roles they play in the healing process
- Explain the process of Getting Permission
- Explain the nuances and stages of Invitations: Dealing with the Overwhelm, New roles,
Healing the wound
Frank Anderson, MD, completed his residency and was a clinical instructor in psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. He is both a psychiatrist and psychotherapist and specializes in the treatment of trauma and dissociation. He is passionate about teaching brain-based psychotherapy and integrating current neuroscience knowledge with the IFS model of therapy. Dr. Anderson is a lead trainer at the IFS Institute with Richard Schwartz and maintains a long affiliation with, and trains for, Bessel van der Kolk’s Trauma Center. He serves as an advisor to the International Association of Trauma Professionals (IATP) and was the former chair and director of the Foundation for Self-Leadership. Dr. Anderson has lectured extensively on the neurobiology of PTSD and dissociation. He co-authored the Internal Family Systems Skills Training Manual. Dr. Anderson maintains a private practice in Concord, MA.
|1st hour||A Brief Overview of the IFS Model
How to work with protective parts
|2nd Hour||Discussing Direct Access: Differentiating between Implicit and Explicit Direct Access
Updating the Part: Gratitude, Regret and Apology; Getting Permission
|15 Minute Break|
Invitations: Dealing with the Overwhelm; New roles; Healing the wound
Summary: Working with Protective Parts in Trauma
This training offers 3 hours of direct contact (not counting breaks or lunch). It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards/regulatory body to verify CE requirements for their license to practice.
For Live Broadcast Attendees
Webinar attendance by participants is automatically tracked, documented and archived for future reference. Upon confirming you have attended 100% of the webinar and upon completion of a course evaluation, you will be issued a certificate of participation (see below).
For Attendees of On Demand/Recorded Version
If you cannot verify 100% attendance of the Live Broadcast or if you are watching the On Demand/recorded version of this webinar, you will need to complete a Post-Webinar Quiz with a pass of at least 80% in order to verify your attendance.
For US Participants
- Continuing Education Credit has been approved through Commonwealth Educational Seminars for these following professions.
- Instructions on how obtaining your Certificate of Attendance will be distributed either upon completion of the Live Broadcast or after participants pass the Post-Webinar Quiz following the On Demand recorded version of the webinar.
For more general info about CEs for US Participants, please click here.
For Canadian and International participants
Upon fulfillment of the above requirements, Canadian and international participants will be issued a Certificate of Participation which features:
- Name of Participant
- Title of Training
- Name of Presenter plus their credentials
- Number of hours of training
- Date of training
- Confirmation that you have passed a quiz with at least 80% grade to verify your attendance
Please check carefully with your regulating body/organization that this certificate is sufficient proof for you to claim CEUs.
For general information about Continuing Education for Canadians and International participants, please click here.
This training is aimed at all mental health professionals including:
- social workers
- medical professionals supporting mental health patients
- mental health counsellors
- marriage and family therapists and counsellors
- occupational therapists
- vocational rehabilitation therapists
- addiction counsellors
- religious counsellors
- case managers
- art therapists
- licensed professional counsellors
- all other professionals who would like to develop, update or expand their skills and knowledge in mental health practices
|Guest and Community Learner Webinar Rate||$152.00|
|Dedicated Learner Webinar Rate*||$129.20|
|All 6 Frank Anderson webinars (6 webinars for the price of 4)*||$608|