Led by Gabor Maté, MD
This is a 3 hour On Demand Webinar. Access information, resources and CEU information will be available immediately after successful registration and registrants will be given unlimited access to the recording for a full year.
This webinar was broadcasted live on Friday, January 7, 2022
Mental illness, according to the prevailing medical-psychiatric view, is largely rooted in genetic inheritance. But such a perspective is devoid of scientific evidence. It also ignores how mental-emotional distress is both a psychological and physiological response to people’s lived experiences. Furthermore, emotional stress has been shown to cause physical illnesses—from cancer to autoimmune disorders and many other chronic diseases.
Join renowned speaker, expert and author, Dr. Gabor Maté, for this dynamic, 3-hour live webinar (also available on-demand if you can’t attend). Dr. Maté will share his insights on the relationship between mind and body in his signature honest and empathic style. Together, you’ll explore the role that childhood adversity plays in mental illness and how we adapt or don’t adapt to life’s realities.
This interactive, participatory seminar will show how the entire range of mental “diseases” originates in childhood trauma or adversity. We will explore ways of working with clients to address root causes of mental illness, rather than examining symptoms and behaviours. Dr. Maté will combine scientific research, case histories, and his insights and experience to show you how to help your clients heal.
At the conclusion of the workshop, attendees will be better able to—
- The psychological and physiological responses that can occur when dealing with difficult or traumatic experience
- The effects of emotional stress on the body and mind.
- How emotional stress loss can exist to soothe the pain resulting from that loss.
- How early childhood experiences sometimes show up later in life and how we’re all affected by our social, cultural, economic, and relational environments.
- About the nature of life’s difficulties that arise from early childhood adverse experiences
A renowned speaker and bestselling author, Dr. Gabor Maté is highly sought after for his expertise on many topics including addiction, stress, and childhood development. His experience includes 20 years of family practice and palliative care. Dr. Maté also spent over a decade working with patients challenged by drug addiction and mental illness.
Dr. Maté is the bestselling author of four books published in over 25 languages. His book on addiction received the Hubert Evans Prize for literary non-fiction. He has been awarded the Order of Canada, the country’s highest civilian distinction, for his ground-breaking medical work and writing. He also received the Civic Merit Award from his hometown, Vancouver.
Dr. Maté’s books include In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters With Addiction; When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress; Scattered Minds: The Origins and Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder; and (with Dr. Gordon Neufeld) Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers.
|First 90 minutes|
|Last 90 Minutes|
This training offers 3 hours of direct contact (not counting breaks or lunch). It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards/regulatory body to verify CE requirements for their license to practice.
For Live Broadcast Attendees
Webinar attendance by participants is automatically tracked, documented and archived for future reference. Upon confirming you have attended 100% of the webinar and upon completion of a course evaluation, you will be issued a certificate of participation (see below).
For Attendees of On Demand/Recorded Version
If you cannot verify 100% attendance of the Live Broadcast or if you are watching the On Demand/recorded version of this webinar, you will need to complete a Post-Webinar Quiz with a pass of at least 80% in order to verify your attendance.
For US Participants
- Instructions on how obtaining your Certificate of Attendance will be distributed either upon completion of the Live Broadcast or after participants pass the Post-Webinar Quiz following the On Demand recorded version of the webinar.
For more general info about CEs for US Participants, please click here.
For Canadian and International participants
Upon fulfillment of the above requirements, Canadian and international participants will be issued a Certificate of Participation which features:
- Name of Participant
- Title of Training
- Name of Presenter plus their credentials
- Number of hours of training
- Date of training
- Confirmation that you have passed a quiz with at least 80% grade to verify your attendance
Please check carefully with your regulating body/organization that this certificate is sufficient proof for you to claim CEUs.
For general information about Continuing Education for Canadians and International participants, please click here.
This training is aimed at all mental health professionals including:
- social workers
- medical professionals supporting mental health patients
- mental health counsellors
- marriage and family therapists and counsellors
- occupational therapists
- vocational rehabilitation therapists
- addiction counsellors
- religious counsellors
- case managers
- art therapists
- licensed professional counsellors
- all other professionals who would like to develop, update or expand their skills and knowledge in mental health practices
All pricing is in CAD$. The USD$ equivalent is about 30% less than CAD$, click here to estimate webinar rate before taxes in your local currency.