Thursday, November 22, and
Friday, November 23, 2018
9:00 am to 4:40 pm
Many teens today are stressed, irritable, worried, angry, and in pain. Without healthy interventions, they are prone to anxiety, depression, self-harm, and other psychological and physiological difficulties. The Canadian Mental Health Association estimates that up to 20 percent of Canadian youth are affected by mental illness, and that 3.2 million teens are at risk of developing depression.
In response, Gina Biegel has adapted the world renowned Jon Kabat-Zinn’s adult MBSR program to create the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Teens (MBSR-T) program. MBSR-T is an evidence-based treatment shown to be effective in both clinical and non-clinical settings. It is currently offered in many schools and therapeutic settings throughout the world.
In this 2-day workshop you will learn the 8-session systematic approach to teaching your teen clients mindfulness skills and tools for dealing with and managing stress. This training will help you teach teens how to be less reactive, impulsive, and judgmental in their thoughts, and help them respond more mindfully. You will learn proven interventions, strategies, treatment tools, and techniques that are culturally relevant and appropriate to the developmental needs of adolescents.
Mindfulness skills provide teens with an anchor and compass to guide them when they feel emotionally dysregulated, stressed, anxious, and depressed. Teach teens to live rather than just exist in an ever-increasing multimedia-stimulated technological environment.
According to Daniel J. Siegel, MD, “Gina Biegel has put together an intensive training for professionals interested in helping stressed adolescents find relief and clarity based on her direct experience supporting teens during this challenging time of life.” By learning how to help adolescents now, you will prepare them for the future they will create not only for themselves but for us all!
You Will Learn:
- How to implement the core components of MBSR-T and practice clinical interventions from all 8 sessions
- Specific mindfulness techniques to shift from reactivity and impulsivity to thoughtful responding
- How to use the 4-step mindful check-in to better understand your clients’ stressors, and connect the appropriate MBSR-T interventions to manage them
- Techniques to increase your clients’ present-moment functioning and living
- About recent advances in positive neuroplasticity that show how to cultivate the four levels of self-care for clients