This is an On Demand Webinar. Access information, resources and CEU information will be sent to you shortly after registration and registrants will be given unlimited access to the recording for a full year
Webinar Rate – $132.00
Dedicated Learner Webinar Rate* – $112.20
*Dedicated Learners pay $22/month and automatically save 15% PLUS have access to all Q&A sessions free. To become a Dedicated Learner, click here.
Mindfulness and meditation-based programs (MBPs) are a popular and fast-growing approach to mental and physical health and well-being, in a wide range of settings, including prisons, the military, K-12 and higher education, and have been downloaded as apps by more than 20 million users. While research on positive health benefits has been widely disseminated, information about boundary conditions, risks, and adverse effects is less well-known to end users and providers.
This webinar provides an overview of the research in meditation-related adverse effects, neurobiological mechanisms, and a series of concrete methods for minimizing and managing risks and negative outcomes. Part 1 reviews different types of meditation-related adverse effects with emphasis on the ones most likely to occur in mindfulness-based programs outside of retreat settings. Part 2 provides an overview of mechanisms for how different practices can lead to undesirable outcomes. Part 3 will review appropriate mitigation strategies, including screening, monitoring, trauma-informed modifications, and additional resources for meditators and providers.
By the end of this training, attendees will be better able to –
- Identify a range of possible challenges that can arise from meditation practice
- Explain the psychological and/or neurobiological mechanisms by which meditation practices can produce undesirable effects
- Apply appropriate mitigation strategies, including screening, monitoring and trauma-informed modifications
- List additional resources for further training and/or more detailed information
Willoughby Britton, PhD, is an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at Brown University Medical School, and the Director of Brown’s Clinical and Affective Neuroscience Laboratory. She has been studying the effects of contemplative practices on the brain and body for more than a decade, with a special emphasis on the wide range of effects of different practices on different people. As a clinician, she is trained as an instructor in both MBSR and MBCT and specializes in helping meditators who are experiencing meditation-related difficulties.
|15 Minute Break|
This training offers 3 hours of direct contact (not counting breaks or lunch). It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards/regulatory body to verify CE requirements for their license to practice.
For Live Broadcast Attendees
Webinar attendance by participants is automatically tracked, documented and archived for future reference. Upon confirming you have attended 100% of the webinar and upon completion of a course evaluation, you will be issued a certificate of participation (see below).
For Attendees of On Demand/Recorded Version
If you cannot verify 100% attendance of the Live Broadcast or if you are watching the On Demand/recorded version of this webinar, you will need to complete a Post-Webinar Quiz with a pass of at least 80% in order to verify your attendance.
For US Participants
- Continuing Education Credit is pending approval through Commonwealth Educational Seminars for these following professions.
- Instructions on how obtaining your Certificate of Attendance will be distributed either upon completion of the Live Broadcast or after participants pass the Post-Webinar Quiz following the On Demand recorded version of the webinar.
For more general info about CEs for US Participants, please click here.
For Canadian and International participants
Upon fulfillment of the above requirements, Canadian and international participants will be issued a Certificate of Participation which features:
- Name of Participant
- Title of Training
- Name of Presenter plus their credentials
- Number of hours of training
- Date of training
- Confirmation that you have passed a quiz with at least 80% grade to verify your attendance
Please check carefully with your regulating body/organization that this certificate is sufficient proof for you to claim CEUs.
For general information about Continuing Education for Canadians and International participants, please click here.
This training is aimed at all mental health professionals including:
- social workers
- medical professionals supporting mental health patients
- mental health counsellors
- marriage and family therapists and counsellors
- occupational therapists
- vocational rehabilitation therapists
- addiction counsellors
- religious counsellors
- case managers
- art therapists
- licensed professional counsellors
- all other professionals who would like to develop, update or expand their skills and knowledge in mental health practices
|Dedicated Learner Rate*||$112.20|
|Whole Enchilada Rate||Included|
*Dedicated Learners pay $22/month and automatically save 15% PLUS have access to all Q&A sessions free. To become a Dedicated Learner, click here