Led by Frank Anderson, MD
This On-Demand Webinar is for 3 hours and talks about addressing shame and substance use through IFS.
Access information, resources, and CEU information will be sent to you shortly after registration and registrants will be given unlimited access to the recording for a full year
In working with relational trauma, we often encounter parts that are connected in some way to an addictive cycle. Many internally damaged systems will look externally for relief, escape, and protection, especially when the internal system has not experienced safety and love early on in life.
This is often the case when parts seek solutions to their problems with potentially addictive substances, such as food, drugs, sex, technology, and gambling, to name a few. When it comes to these parts, Internal Family Systems (IFS) offers a framework that helps clinicians to uncover and follow the client’s internal wisdom about the order of healing. These systems tend to be complex and often have multiple dimensions to them, including facets connected to the past and present. Our goal in IFS is not to just get the part to stop using their substance of choice; rather, there is a larger over-arching purpose of learning about their role, fear, or positive intention and with this awareness, to create space for an alternative solution to the problem they are trying to address.
By the end of this training, attendees will be better able to—
- Describe the relationship between substance use and trauma/neglect/abuse
- Identify the difference between Primary/past wounds and Secondary/current day wounds
- Explain the relationships between Substance/parts, Behaviour/habit, and Biology/taper
- Identify the differences in the roles played by Critics, Caretakers and Thinkers
- Identify and explain at least 2 aspects of critical shame cycles and neglect shame cycles
- Describe the neuroscience of shame
Follow Up Q & A Session with Frank Anderson
Join Frank Anderson for a Follow-Up Q & A session to:
- Ask questions that have arisen in the week after the webinar
- Share unexpected insights, experiences and challenges that you have encountered as you put some of what you have learnt into practice
Live Follow Up Q & A Date: Thursday, December 17, 2020
Broadcast Time: 11:00 am – 12:00 pm, EDT
The Follow Up Q & A Sessions are scheduled a short time after the Live Broadcast date and are designed to help webinar participants further integrate and deepen their understanding and implementation of webinar material. After having had a chance to absorb and reflect on what you learnt in the webinar, you are invited to join the speaker in an hour-long Q & A session to ask questions, share your experiences in implementing some of the ideas explored in the webinar and discuss challenges and unexpected insights that may have arisen.
Follow Up Q & A Fee for Guests and Community Participants at time of registration: CDN$16
Follow Up Q & A Fee for Guests and Community Participants AFTER: CDN$30
Dedicated Learners and Whole Enchilada Learners of the Leading Edge Seminars Advantage Network are automatically registered for Follow Up Q & As at no charge.
Please note: CEs are available for the webinar only (CE info for Canadians and Non-US participants click here, CE info for US participants click here).
Frank Anderson, MD, completed his residency and was a clinical instructor in psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. He is both a psychiatrist and psychotherapist and specializes in the treatment of trauma and dissociation. He is passionate about teaching brain-based psychotherapy and integrating current neuroscience knowledge with the IFS model of therapy. Dr. Anderson is a lead trainer at the IFS Institute with Richard Schwartz and maintains a long affiliation with, and trains for, Bessel van der Kolk’s Trauma Center. He serves as an advisor to the International Association of Trauma Professionals (IATP) and was the former chair and director of the Foundation for Self-Leadership. Dr. Anderson has lectured extensively on the neurobiology of PTSD and dissociation. He co-authored the Internal Family Systems Skills Training Manual. Dr. Anderson maintains a private practice in Concord, MA.
Substance Use: Searching Outside for Protection
Parts, Habits and Biology
Associated Parts: Critics, Caretakers and Thinkers
|15 minute break|
This training offers 3 hours of direct contact (not counting breaks or lunch). It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards/regulatory body to verify CE requirements for their license to practice.
For Live Broadcast Attendees
Webinar attendance by participants is automatically tracked, documented and archived for future reference. Upon confirming you have attended 100% of the webinar and upon completion of a course evaluation, you will be issued a certificate of participation (see below).
For Attendees of On Demand/Recorded Version
If you cannot verify 100% attendance of the Live Broadcast or if you are watching the On Demand/recorded version of this webinar, you will need to complete a Post-Webinar Quiz with a pass of at least 80% in order to verify your attendance.
For US Participants
- Instructions on how obtaining your Certificate of Attendance will be distributed either upon completion of the Live Broadcast or after participants pass the Post-Webinar Quiz following the On Demand recorded version of the webinar.
For more general info about CEs for US Participants, please click here.
For Canadian and International participants
Upon fulfillment of the above requirements, Canadian and international participants will be issued a Certificate of Participation which features:
- Name of Participant
- Title of Training
- Name of Presenter plus their credentials
- Number of hours of training
- Date of training
- Confirmation that you have passed a quiz with at least 80% grade to verify your attendance
Please check carefully with your regulating body/organization that this certificate is sufficient proof for you to claim CEUs.
For general information about Continuing Education for Canadians and International participants, please click here.
This training is aimed at all mental health professionals including:
- social workers
- medical professionals supporting mental health patients
- mental health counsellors
- marriage and family therapists and counsellors
- occupational therapists
- vocational rehabilitation therapists
- addiction counsellors
- religious counsellors
- case managers
- art therapists
- licensed professional counsellors
- all other professionals who would like to develop, update or expand their skills and knowledge in mental health practices
|Webinar Only Rate||$139.00|