Led by Russell Barkley, PhD
This On Demand Webinar (Oppositional Defiant Disorder Management and ADHD Medication Management) is 3 hours.
Access information, resources, and CEU information will be sent to you shortly after registration and registrants will be given unlimited access to the recording for a full year.
This the second of a series of 3 webinars presented by Dr. Barkley on ADHD and related disorders. Like our first webinar, this webinar is a 2-for-1: Dr. Barkley will be presenting 2 webinar topics: Oppositional Defiant Disorder Management and ADHD Medication Management.
Lecture 1: The Four Factor Theory and ODD Management
Defiant behaviour in children, or Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), is among the leading reasons for the referral of children to child mental health centres and is a major cause of parental distress in raising children. This lecture will discuss the nature of ODD as a two-dimensional condition (emotional dysregulation, social conflict) that arises both directly and indirectly out of the interplay of four major factors, commonly known as The Four-Factor Model of Defiant Behaviour.
You will learn in detail about these four factors along with the reciprocal nature of parent-child interactions involving noncompliance and defiance and the important role played by negative reinforcement in generating, sustaining, and even escalating the frequency and severity of such interactions through a process of family social coercion. The implications of this model for the management of child defiant behaviour and parent-child conflicts will be discussed. Dr. Barkley will use his own parent training program, Defiant Children, to illustrate the methods that need to be conveyed to parents to treat ODD as well as the elements that are common to the effectiveness of all behavioural parent training programs.
Lecture 2: Medication Management of ADHD
The past 10-15 years have witnessed a number of major developments in the medications and delivery systems available for the management of ADHD. In this session, Dr. Barkley updates you on the types of medications now available for ADHD management and the various delivery systems developed to extend the effectiveness of the medications across the day. For each medication, he will present the major beneficial effects and side effects. He will also discuss various issues clinicians should consider in selecting particular medications to use with a patient with ADHD, such as those issues related to the social context, the patient’s characteristics, and any comorbid conditions that may exist.
Russell Barkley ADHD Update Series: What You Need to Know Now in 3 Webinars
This is the second of three webinars that Dr. Barkley is presenting for us this fall. He is also presenting:
- Advances in ADHD Diagnosis and Management PLUS! The OTHER Attention Disorder, Sluggish Cognitive Tempo on November 13
- Optimizing ADHD Treatment: Impact of Comorbidity on November 23
By the end of Lecture 1 on ODD, attendees will be better able to –
- Explain the nature of defiant, oppositional, or non-compliant behaviour in children
- Describe the four major factors that contribute to such behaviour, known as the Four-Factor Model of Defiant Behaviour
- Apply the implications of this model to the evaluation and assessment of children with this behaviour pattern
- Discuss the treatment implications that arise from an understanding of this model
- Explain the most effective elements of behavioural parent training to reduce childhood defiant behaviour and improve parent-child relationships
- By the end of Lecture 2 on Medication Management of ADHD, attendees will be better able to:
- Describe the various medication types now available and FDA approved for ADHD management
- Discuss the different delivery systems that now exist and are FDA approved for extending the effectiveness of medications across the day
- Briefly review the beneficial effects and potential side effects associated with each medication type
- Alert clinicians to the various issues that need to be considered in the selection of types of medications and delivery systems for individual ADHD patients (context, patient, comorbidity, etc.)
Russell A. Barkley, PhD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond, VA. He is board certified in Clinical Psychology (ABPP), Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, and Clinical Neuropsychology (ABCN, ABPP). Dr. Barkley is a clinical scientist, educator, and practitioner who has published 26 other books, rating scales, and clinical manuals numbering more than 43 editions, and creator of 7 award winning professional videos. He has also published more than 300 scientific articles and book chapters related to the nature, assessment, and treatment of ADHD and related disorders. He is the founder and Editor of the clinical newsletter, The ADHD Report, now in its 28th year of publication. Dr. Barkley has presented more than 800 invited lectures in more than 30 countries and appeared on nationally televised shows such as 60 Minutes, the Today Show, Good Morning America, CBS Sunday Morning, CNN, and many others. He has received numerous awards from professional societies and ADHD organizations for his lifetime achievements, contributions to research and clinical practice, and the dissemination of science. His websites are www.russellbarkley.org and www.ADHDLectures.com.
|1:00 – 2:30pm||The Four-Factor Theory of ODD
|2:30 – 2:45pm||15 minute break|
|2:45 – 4:15pm||Medication Management of ADHD
This training offers 3 hours of direct contact (not counting breaks or lunch). It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards/regulatory body to verify CE requirements for their license to practice.
For Live Broadcast Attendees
Webinar attendance by participants is automatically tracked, documented and archived for future reference. Upon confirming you have attended 100% of the webinar and upon completion of a course evaluation, you will be issued a certificate of participation (see below).
For Attendees of On Demand/Recorded Version
If you cannot verify 100% attendance of the Live Broadcast or if you are watching the On Demand/recorded version of this webinar, you will need to complete a Post-Webinar Quiz with a pass of at least 80% in order to verify your attendance.
For US Participants
- Instructions on how obtaining your Certificate of Attendance will be distributed either upon completion of the Live Broadcast or after participants pass the Post-Webinar Quiz following the On Demand recorded version of the webinar.
For more general info about CEs for US Participants, please click here.
For Canadian and International participants
Upon fulfillment of the above requirements, Canadian and international participants will be issued a Certificate of Participation which features:
- Name of Participant
- Title of Training
- Name of Presenter plus their credentials
- Number of hours of training
- Date of training
- Confirmation that you have passed a quiz with at least 80% grade to verify your attendance
Please check carefully with your regulating body/organization that this certificate is sufficient proof for you to claim CEUs.
For general information about Continuing Education for Canadians and International participants, please click here.
This training is aimed at all mental health professionals including:
- social workers
- medical professionals supporting mental health patients
- mental health counsellors
- marriage and family therapists and counsellors
- occupational therapists
- vocational rehabilitation therapists
- addiction counsellors
- religious counsellors
- case managers
- art therapists
- licensed professional counsellors
- all other professionals who would like to develop, update or expand their skills and knowledge in mental health practices