Welcome to an immersive, 5-day, in-person workshop tailored exclusively for mental health professionals like you – counsellors, psychotherapists, marriage and family therapists, social workers, and psychologists.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), hailed as an “indispensable modality of treatment” by the esteemed Bessel van der Kolk, offers your clients a way to safely process traumatic experiences.
This EMDR 5-day training course is not just about acquiring knowledge; it’s about gaining clinical pearls of wisdom that you can immediately integrate into your practice. Emphasizing attunement, attachment, and clinical judgment, this EMDRIA-approved, 5-day intensive covers the essentials of implementing EMDR. Learn how to customize treatments for diverse scenarios, including children, recent events, couples, grief, pain, phobias, addictions, and dissociation.
Unlike research-oriented approaches to EMDR, this training places a spotlight on the interpersonal aspects of EMDR work. Immerse yourself in a multimedia learning experience, combining lectures, videos, and practice opportunities. Listen, observe, and implement new concepts and skills, ensuring a comprehensive understanding.
This updated EMDR course builds upon the original procedures developed by Francine Shapiro in 1995. Expand your expertise in treatment planning, preparation, and processing interventions. With over 43 videos, downloadable training materials, and access to a community-wide listserv, you’ll receive support before, during, and after the course, ensuring confidence as you integrate EMDR into your clinical practice.
After completing this course, participants will have applied the Adaptive Information Processing theoretical approach to psychotherapy, demonstrated the eight phases of EMDR therapy, and identified how to utilize EMDR with a variety of clinical populations. Special instruction is given on varying applications of bilateral stimulation that uses a client-centered approach to address the unique needs of each client. This course also teaches clinicians how to utilize EMDR in a telehealth environment.
All participants receive 10 additional hours of post-training consultation with approved consultants via small-group phone/online video conferencing. This is an excellent opportunity to fine-tune your understanding and skills with personalized guidance.
Join us for this comprehensive and engaging learning experience and empower yourself to make a profound impact on your clients through the transformative power of EMDR.
Once you have completed this EMDR 5-day basic training and the post-training consultation hours, you will be considered an EMDR-trained clinician and will receive a Certificate of Course Completion.
- Summarize Francine Shapiro’s development of EMDR.
- Describe processing mechanisms (BLS, REM, orienting response, and taxing working memory with DAS).
- Recognize EMDR as evidence-based practice.
- Describe the Adaptive Information Processing (AIP) Approach.
- Demonstrate stabilization and affect management skills.
- Demonstrate developing a neural network target sequence plan.
- Identify ways to explain EMDR to clients.
- Discuss EMDR client selection criteria.
- Summarize the use of the Phase 3 Assessment questions before EMDR processing.
- Demonstrate standard EMDR and adaptations (contained and restricted processing).
- Recognize the re-evaluation phase as part of treatment integration.
- Identify three-prong processing (past, present, future).
- Identify ways to provide EMDR via telehealth.
- Recognize modifications to utilize EMDR with children.
- Recognize ways to use EMDR with couples.
- Identify EMDR options with recent or crisis events.
- Demonstrate self-use techniques one may teach a client.
- Recognize the AIP approach to neurobiology with clients with complex presentations.
- Summarize front-loading additional resources for use with clients with complex presentations.
- Identify two or more ways to approach target sequence planning in EMDR.
- Describe the use of cognitive interweaves during processing.
- Identify clinical processing interventions to assist in managing client emotions during processing.
- Recognize ways to help client stay within their window of processing tolerance.
- Describe phase 8, re-evaluation phase of EMDR, and its purpose.
- Discuss EMDR with first responders.
- Describe modifications for working with dissociative tendencies.
- Identify the EMDR approach to treating addictions.
- Recognize the use of EMDR with grief.
- Explain an EMDR approach to working with phobias.
- Describe using EMDR with pain.
- Summarize how to integrate EMDR into one’s clinical practice.
To take part in this training, participants meet all of the following requirements:
- A completed master’s degree or higher OR proof of current enrollment in a post-graduate program leading to a master’s degree or higher in an established mental health discipline (Counselling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Social Work) or related mental health discipline and be independently licensed to practice through their state board or province. Students currently enrolled in a post-graduate program as noted above must have completed their core academic coursework and be active in the practicum/internship portion of their graduate program, working under the supervision of a fully licensed or registered mental health clinician. First year graduate students are not eligible. Students are also required to provide a signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between them and their designated supervisor who agrees to oversee their EMDR practice throughout the duration of this EMDR training course. The designated supervisor must be an independently licensed supervisor, but does not need to be EMDR-trained. See a sample MOU here.
- Membership in a College or professional regulatory body that oversees the practice of psychotherapy. Clinicians who have qualifying status (associate, intern, limited, provisional, temporary, pre-license) with their regulatory body will be required to provide a signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between them and their supervisor. Download a list of designations and regulatory bodies recognized by EMDR Canada.
- Professional Liability insurance.
Once you have registered by paying the course fee in full, you will be sent a Confirmation of Eligibility Form to complete and return to Leading Edge Seminars.
If it is determined that you do not meet the course eligibility requirements, you will be issued a complete and full refund, without penalty, of the registration fee paid.
Rates for EMDR Vancouver 2024
Once you have registered by completing payment, you will be sent a Confirmation of Eligibility Form to complete and return to Leading Edge Seminars.
If it is determined that you do not meet the course eligibility requirements, you will be issued a complete and full refund, without penalty, of the registration fee you have paid.
Regular Rate: CAD$
2,600 2,500* / USD$ 2,080 2,000*
Student Rate: CAD$
2,200 2,100* / USD$ 1,760 1,680*
Refresher Rate: CAD$
2,200 2,100* / USD$ 1,760 1,680*
*Early Bird registration ends July 16, 2024.