Led by Mary Kay Cocharo, LMFT
Live Broadcast Date(s)*:
Thursday, November 9, 2023
Friday, November 10, 2023
*Can’t Attend Live? This webinar will be recorded and archived. All registrants will be given unlimited access to the recording for a full year after the live broadcast date.
If you’re a therapist or coach who has ever felt frustrated or lost working with couples, this 12-hour online course is for you!
Get introduced to Encounter-Centered Couples Therapy (EcCT), a theory and methodology of conducting relationship therapy based on the work of Hedy Schleifer, Master Relationship Builder. EcCT helps individuals fully connect with their partners, allowing them to become more mature and creative together. It is used by trained therapists around the world and has been shown to be effective in facilitating deep communication and emotional connection for couples.
The principles of Encounter-Centered Couples Therapy can be incorporated with other modalities to create safety and deeper connection. Familiarizing yourself with EcCT will set you apart from your colleagues as you learn the structure to facilitate a 2-Day Intensive. These longer sessions encourage a process called ‘From Rupture to Repair’ in the intimate relationship. The structure will also serve clinicians who want to facilitate couples’ workshops and retreats.
- Distinguish between an individual and a relational paradigm.
- Review how neuroscience informs couples therapy.
- Build a collaborative foundation with the couple for the work.
- Identify the survival dance that disconnects couples.
- Apply the Three Invisible Connectors to create safety and connection.
- Facilitate Level Three learning to create lasting change.
- Focus on the importance of co-regulation in the therapy room.
- Structure a 2-Day Couples’ Intensive.
|10:00-11:00 a.m.||What makes couples therapy hard?|
–Shifting from an Individual Paradigm to a Relational Paradigm
What EcCT can do for you as a therapist.
From the realm of communication to the realm of communion.
|11:15 a.m.-1:00 p.m.||Explore the underlying principles of EcCT|
– Imago Relationship Theory
–Explaining the Safety to Connection to Passion pyramid
–Leading from the couple’s resources: what they love, what works, reasons to keep going
Guiding couples to create their wildest dreams
Group Exercise: Interviewing for the Wildest Dream and discussion of that process
Identifying the survival dance of the couple: what disconnects
Learnings, re-learnings, surprises, and intrigues from the morning session
Discovering the distinction between Essence and Survival
The 3 Invisible Connectors in EcCT: The Space, The Bridge, and the Encounter
Video of couple going Over the Bridge
Study questions for group discussion of video
Facilitating visits to the precious neighbourhoods in the couples’ world
The art of Hosting/the art of Visiting
Exploring the journey of relationship
What we know about neuroscience, connection survival, and connection
|11:15 a.m.-1:00 p.m.||Co-regulation|
–The Importance of a calm therapist
Establishing the languages of love
|2:00-3:15 p.m.||Visits to the toughest neighbourhoods in the couple’s world|
–Unraveling the survival knot of the couple
Visits to the past for memory reconsolidation
Building new neighbourhoods
This training offers 12 hours of direct contact (not counting breaks or lunch). It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards/regulatory body to verify CE requirements for their license to practice.
For Live Broadcast Attendees
Webinar attendance by participants is automatically tracked, documented and archived for future reference. Upon confirming you have attended 100% of the webinar and upon completion of a course evaluation, you will be issued a certificate of participation (see below).
For Attendees of the On-Demand/Recorded Version
If you cannot verify 100% attendance of the Live Broadcast or if you are watching the on-demand/recorded version of this webinar, you will need to complete a Post-Webinar Quiz with a pass of at least 80% in order to verify your attendance.
For US Participants
- Instructions on how to obtain your Certificate of Attendance will be distributed either upon completion of the Live Broadcast or after participants pass the Post-Webinar Quiz following the On-Demand/Recorded version of the webinar.
For Canadian and Non-US International Participants
Upon fulfilment of the above requirements, Canadian and non-US international participants will be issued a Certificate of Participation that includes:
- Name of Participant
- Title of Training
- Name of Presenter plus their credentials
- Number of hours of training
- Date of training
- Confirmation that you have passed a quiz with at least an 80% grade to verify your attendance
Please check carefully with your regulating body/organization that this certificate is sufficient proof for you to claim CEUs.
Who Should Attend?
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Clinical and Counselling Psychologists
- Psychiatric Social Workers
- Pastoral Counsellors
- Nurse Practitioners
- Occupational Therapists
- Graduate Students in accredited programs in the above fields
- Case Managers
- Licensed Professional Counsellors
- All other professionals who would like to develop, update or expand their skills and knowledge in mental health practices